WASHINGTON, D.C.– U.S. Representative Paul Gosar, D.D.S, released statements denouncing the unveiling of the Green New Deal by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY-14) and Senator Ed Markey (MA):
Chairman Paul Gosar (AZ-04): "The Green New Deal is another climate change, socialist pipedream that attacks American jobs and our way of life. This extreme proposal revealed today seeks to end domestic flights on airplanes, remove non-electric vehicles from our streets, give more money to those that are unwilling to work, put union bosses in charge of all new energy jobs, eliminate nuclear power and fossil fuels, get rid of cows, as well as provide universal healthcare, housing and education. Democrat socialists made clear today that they want to use climate change as a means to abolish capitalism and implement massive taxation, expropriation and government control. This bill and the accompanying FAQs page are so detached from reality that they are already trying to blame ‘farting cows and airplanes’ for unrealistic emissions goals 10 years away. The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. The problem with the Green New Deal is that the sun doesn’t always shine, the wind doesn’t always blow and with a nearly $22 trillion debt, we don’t have any more money to borrow to pay for this exorbitant fantasy."
On February 7, 2019 the framework of the Green New Deal was unveiled at a press conference with Rep. Ocasio-Cortez (NY-14), Senator Markey (MA) and a few of their colleagues.
Click here to watch the press conference. Click here to read the Green New Deal FAQs Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's office provided to NPR.
Click here to read the updated bill containing the new Green Deal framework Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's office provided to NPR. A blog post with FAQ’s posted on Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's website HERE.
Needless to say, there are plenty of interesting policy goals that are being proposed both in the bill and in the summary released by Rep. Ocasio-Cortez. Here are the top 10:
- The GND plans to “Upgrade or replace EVERY BUILDING in the US for ‘state-of-the-art’ energy efficiency.”
- The GND seeks to “Totally overhaul transportation by massively expanding electric vehicle manufacturing, build charging stations everywhere, build out highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary, create affordable public transit available to all, with goal to replace every combustion-engine vehicle.”
- The Green New Deal seeks to eliminate nuclear power and all fossil fuels within 10 years. “The plan is to transition off of nuclear and all fossil fuels as soon as possible…If it is possible to get to fully 100% renewable in 10 years, we will do that.”
- A goal of the GND is providing all people of the United States with high-quality health care; affordable, safe, and adequate housing; economic security; and clean water, clean air, healthy and affordable food, and access to nature.”
- The GND seeks to “ensure that all GND jobs are union jobs that pay prevailing wages and hire local.”
- The Green New Deal seeks “to eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from every sector of the economy” and get the US to net-zero emissions by 2030.
- The GND seeks to provided “education to all.”
- The Green New Deal seek to provide “economic security for all who are unable or unwilling to work.”
- “A carbon tax may be a part of the Green New Deal.”
- Authors of the bill plan to pay for the GND the “same way we paid for the New Deal, the 2008 bank bailout…all our current wars…by the Federal Reserve extending credit…by creating new public banks that extend credit…by the government taking an equity stake in projects.”
This sentence was contained in Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's FAQs page:
“We set a goal to get to net-zero, rather than zero emissions, in 10 years because we aren’t sure that we’ll be able to fully get rid of farting cows and airplanes that fast…”
Courtesy of the House Republican Conference
This week, Democrats really out did themselves by introducing a resolution that outlines the largest federal spending program and government expansion this country has yet to see—the Green New Deal.
Let’s be clear, the Green New Deal is a trojan horse for socialism. This resolution makes promises of new jobs, free college, and prosperity while calling for policies that we know will bankrupt our economy, destroy jobs, impede innovation in the free-market, and destabilize our great nation. The Green New Deal expands federal bureaucrats power far beyond the limits set forth in the Constitution costing Americans not only their hard-earned wages, but their civil liberties as well.
The Green New Deal would:
- Intertwine the federal government in every aspect of our daily lives,
- Overhaul American energy, manufacturing, and transportation sectors,
- Jeopardize jobs and take-home income of hundreds of thousands of Americans,
- Expand the power of federal bureaucrats far beyond what our Founding Fathers ever intended,
- Impede the energy efficiency and carbon capture research and development industry has invested in, moving America further away from our emission goals,
- Destabilize our electric grid and energy dominance and independence compromising our national security, and
- Undermine federalist principles our nation was built upon.