Skip to Content

FAQs: Citizenship and Immigration Services

How can I find out the status of my paperwork with the USCIS?
  1. The first place to check is on any receipt notice you may have received from the USCIS. On that form there may be an estimated time of how long it will take to process the type of paperwork you filed. You should usually wait until that estimated time has passed before inquiring further. USCIS officials and my office are typically unable to check on any paperwork that is still within the normal processing time.
  2. If the normal processing time has passed, you may contact my office and my staff will be glad to assist you by making an inquiry about your application to USCIS. If there is a problem with your application, contacting one of my Congressional liaisons at USCIS should allow me to determine where the problem lies and what necessary steps should be taken in order to solve the problem. If there is not a problem with your application, then this office will at least be able to assure you that it has not been forgotten, and that any delay may simply be the result of an increase in USCIS’s work load.
  3. The USCIS website is very convenient and easy to navigate. Many of your general questions or concerns regarding applications and standard immigration procedures may be found there. The USCIS also maintains a 24-Hour automated information line that can be reached at 1 (800) 767-1833.

I have an emergency related to USCIS and cannot get the help I need from the USCIS. Can you help?

In the case of a life or death emergency related to USCIS, my office might be able to help. Please fill out a privacy release form and my office will get in touch with you.

Request Help or Contact My Office

If you would like to request our help with an issue involving Citizenship and Immigration Services, please fill out a privacy release form and my office will get in touch with you.

If you have question or comments about an immigration issue, feel free to contact my office.