Media Advisory: Reps. Gosar & Schweikert To Hold Joint Field Hearing On EPA Water Grab
For Immediate Release
Contact: Russell Solomon
Reps. Gosar & Schweikert To Hold Joint Field Hearing On EPA Water Grab
WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Congressman David Schweikert (AZ-06), in conjunction with U.S. Congressman Paul A. Gosar, D.D.S. (AZ-04), will hold a joint field hearing in Phoenix, Arizona addressing the EPA's proposed rule to expand the definition of “navigable waters of the United States” and the potential harm such an expansion may cause to businesses and consumers. The hearing is called "The EPA’s Unauthorized Usurpation of State and Tribal Water Rights: Cleaning up the Clean Water Act."
U.S. Congressman Matt Salmon (AZ-05) and U.S. Congressman Lamar Smith (TX-21) will also participate in the hearing.
Invited witnesses include:
- EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy
- Secretary of the Army John McHugh, who oversees the Army Corps of Engineers
- Representative from Governor Jan Brewer’s Administration
- Central Arizona Project
- Gila River Indian Community - Governor Mendoza
- Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community - President Diane Enos
- Arizona Home Builders
- Arizona Farm Bureau - Stefanie Smallhouse
- Arizona Rock Products - Steve Trussell
- Arizona Association of Realtors
This event is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
Monday, June 2, 2014
“The EPA’s Unauthorized Usurpation of State and Tribal Water Rights: Cleaning up the Clean Water Act”
LOCATION: Arizona State Capitol
Senate Hearing Room 1
1700 W Washington St
Phoenix, AZ 85007
On March 25, 2014, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) released a proposed rule that would assert Clean Water Act (CWA) jurisdiction over nearly all areas with any hydrologic connection to downstream navigable waters, including man-made conveyances such as ditches.