Second Amendment and Gun Rights
SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS
The Second Amendment is one of the most important rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.
The Second Amendment is one of the most important rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights. The operative text states that “the right of the people to keep and bear arms…shall not be infringed.” In spite of the clarity of this amendment, we have seen repeated, consistent, and sustained attacks on this right and efforts across the spectrum to “infringe” on this individual right.
In the Federalist No. 46, James Madison explained that because American citizens were typically armed, the federal government would be unable to exert power beyond the powers enumerated in the Constitution. Madison explained that in contrast to European nations where “the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms” the Untied States would rely on an armed citizenry to protect themselves, their families, and the nation.
The founders intended the Second Amendment to function as a citizen check against overreach in the event that the government started to take away civil rights guaranteed in the Constitution. In keeping with my oath of office to protect and defend our founding charter, I will not support unconstitutional gun restriction laws. I will actively fight any attempt by this Administration to undermine our Constitution and infringe upon the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. With the attack on personal gun-ownership, the Second Amendment, and our God-given rights, the Obama-Biden Administration has been relentless in their pursuit of taking guns away from law-abiding Americans.
This President and the anti-gun lobby continue to ignore the fact that violence is driven by a number of different factors, and that experience has shown gun control does not curb violent acts. There is no easy answer to the problem of violence we face in our country, but inhibiting the ability of law-abiding citizens to exercise their Constitutional rights is nothing more than window dressing. One needs to look no further than the states with the toughest restrictions on firearms to see that they are the ones consistently ranking the highest in violent crime. When you limit an individual’s ability to lawfully purchase or carry firearms you are allowing only those with the intent to break the law to have weapons.
I have been a life-long supporter of responsible gun ownership. I have also been a hunter for most of my life, and I am well aware of our rights and duties relative to firearms. We must remain vigilant and enforce all of our constitutional rights, not simply pick and choose the ones we like. Our fundamental and inherent rights are not dependent upon which president, or which Congress, is in office.
I have been a leader in the House of Representatives on Second Amendment rights and we have made significant progress in opposing efforts to restrict, infringe, or remove this constitutionally-protected right. For my leadership and action on these issues, I have a career grade of “A” with the National Rifle Association of America (NRA).
The Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act for FY 2016
In the CJS Appropriations Act for FY 2016 alone, the House included/passed:
· A Gosar amendment reversing the ATF ban on 7N6 ammunition, therefore restoring Second Amendment rights and preserving access to affordable ammunition for sporting purposes. This Gosar amendment was supported by the NRA and Gun Owners of America. Click HERE to read more.
· A Gosar-requested rider that prohibiting funds to implement the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty.
· A Gosar-supported provision permanently prohibiting funds for Fast and Furious like programs.
· A Gosar-supported provision permanently prohibiting the requirement for licenses to export firearms and parts to Canada;
· A Gosar-supported provision permanently prohibiting banning licenses for importing curio or relic firearms, parts, or ammunition;
· A Gosar-supported provision permanently prohibiting banning the importation of certain shotguns;
· A Gosar-supported rider prohibiting funds for an unauthorized reporting and registration requirement regarding the sale of multiple rifles to the same person in border states.
· A Gosar-supported rider prohibiting funds from being used to treat “green tip” ammo as armor piercing ammunition. I also helped lead an effort with 238 other members of Congress that caused ATF’s initial retreat on its proposed ban on green tip ammo.
Support for Other Second Amendment Bills:
H.R. 402, the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act. This commonsense legislation allows individuals with a concealed carry permit from one state to have that permit honored in another state that allows concealed carry, without having to reapply with that state.
H.R. 1413, the Firearms Manufacturers and Dealers Protection Act and H.R. 766, the Financial Institution Customer Protection Act. Each measure makes conducting or facilitating Operation Chokepoint illegal.
Amendment to Energy and Water Appropriations Act
I also successfully passed the “Gosar Amendment” to a previous Energy and Water Appropriations Bill that withdrew funding to the Army Corps of Engineers for its effort to enforce an unconstitutional provision banning self-defense carry on Corps’ land, which included 90,000 campsites, thousands of miles of hiking trails, and millions of acres of recreational land. Later, this provision became law. Click HERE to read more.