Congressman Paul Gosar's Offical Biography
U.S. Congressman Paul Gosar
Paul A. Gosar, D.D.S., is serving his fourth term in Congress as the Representative for Arizona’s Fourth Congressional District. First elected in 2010, he came to Congress with no prior political experience. Paul believes that the Constitution is the cornerstone of our Republic, and pursues policies that allow for more individual liberty and less government involvement.
Dr. Gosar is focused on bringing jobs back to the district, fighting illegal immigration and securing the border, challenging the status quo and holding Washington bureaucrats accountable, cutting wasteful government spending, and ensuring that he is representing the interests of his constituents.
He has focused his legislative work on natural resources issues and government accountability. Both areas stem from his work on the House Committee on Natural Resources and the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Dr. Gosar is Vice-Chairman of the Natural Resources Water, Power and Oceans Subcommittee and Vice-Chairman of the Congressional Western Caucus.
During his relatively short tenure, Dr. Gosar has managed to be extremely effective in a time of gridlock when few other bills were enacted. He was recognized in 2012 as one of the hardest working and most effective new members of Congress. Rep. Gosar raised the bar even higher during his second term with six bills signed into law by the president, 12 other legislative efforts becoming law, and 24 of his amendments passing the House. As a result of this legislative success, Representative Gosar was the most effective member of the 113th Congress. One of these legislative victories was the most important bill that passed Congress during this timeframe, facilitating a land exchange that will allow for the creation of 3,700 new jobs and generate $60 billion for Arizona's economy.
Before being elected to Congress in 2010, Dr. Gosar owned his own dental practice and was a small businessman in Flagstaff for twenty-five years.
Whether Gosar is in Washington fighting for his constituents, or back home working to find solutions to the problems facing the people of Arizona’s Fourth Congressional District, he remains committed to ushering in a new era of government that empowers individuals and reforms bureaucratic procedures that are stifling job creation.
CURRENT RATINGS (as of 8/3/16):
• 100% rating with the American Security Council
• 96% rating with the American Conservative Union
• 100% rating with Americans for Prosperity
• 100% rating with Associated Builders and Contractors
• 100% rating with the Christian Coalition of America
• 96% rating and Considered a Taxpayer Hero by Citizens Against Government Waste
• 100% rating with the Competitive Enterprise Institute
• 100% rating with the Concerned Women for America
• 100% rating with Eagle Forum
• 100% rating with the Faith and Freedom
• 100% rating with the Family Research Council
• 100% rating with the Gun Owners of America
• 92% rating with Heritage Action
• 100% rating with the National Federation of Independent Business
• 100% rating with the National Right to Life Committee
• 92% rating with the National Tax Limitation Committee
• 98% rating with the immigration enforcement group Numbers USA
• 100% rating with the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Council
CAREER RATINGS (as of 8/3/16):
• Career “A+” grade with the immigration enforcement organization NumbersUSA.
• Career 100% rating with the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR).
• Career “A” rating with the NRA.
• Career 100% rating with National Right to Life.
• Career 100% rating with Eagle Forum.
• Career “A” rating with the American Conservative Union.
• Career “A” rating with Gun Owners of America who consider Paul a “pro-gun leader that introduces pro-gun legislation.”
Family: Dr. Gosar and his wife Maude have three children.
Current Home: Prescott, Arizona
Born: November 27, 1958 in Rock Springs, Wyoming
Education: Bachelor’s Degree from Creighton University, 1981; DDS from Creighton Boyne School of Dentistry, 1985
Political Affiliation: Republican
Committee Assignments: House Committee on Natural Resources, House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform